It is difficult to explain the beauty of Croatia. Just when you think it can't possibly get anymore beautiful, it does. There are thousands of islands off the Dalmatian coast, and the coast itself is rugged mountain terrain. The road from Split to Dubrovnik is a bit like 101, only narrower and minus the guard rails, or in spots, flimsy rails. For nearly five hours, we passed incredible coast towns, with lovely beaches. On the mountain sides, there were numerous ruins of old houses and the occasional fortress. We passed through valleys, by rivers and lakes. And the ever present islands off the coast!
On our way here, we had to pass through Bosnia. The border patrol got on the bus and checked our passports. We stopped in the Bosnia town Neum for our "comfort stop", i.e. pee break, smoke break, dinner and WINE for the driver and bus conductor. Soon after we got on the way, we stopped at the Croatian border, same routine. After that, the bus conductor flopped over 2 seats and began to snore loudly.
While we were in Bosnia, I took pictures of Luke. He says he has officially been in more countries than states. I'm not sure, it might tied up, 12 to 12. I think he missed some states.
When Dubrovnik finally came in to sight, it was something to behold. We are staying in Old Town, in the walled city. There are no cars here. Our first impression is that it is like Venice without the canals. Our apartment looks over a marina, across to the other side of the Old Town and up the hill.
I'm glad we took the bus here, we saw things we otherwise wouldn't have. That said, NEVER AGAIN! These people drive like maniacs, and drinking wine, while driving a bus on narrow, steep, winding roads, INSANE! I prayed a lot on that bus, and I was so happy to see Dubrovnik. We are all looking forward to seeing the town tomorrow.
Luke is happy to be out of Hvar, he was nearly eaten alive, and his bites are big, swollen and itchy! The mosquitoes finally dined on Skip's legs last night, too!
Poor Luke - I hope his bites don't start to seep like mine did in Amsterdam. I ended up looking like a leper! Hope you have lots of antihistamine and cortisone cream!
ReplyDeleteUuugh mosquitoes. I had 20 bites leaving Rome, got a nasty one in Venice (length of two large eggs on my arm). They are now taking their rounds on Radey.
ReplyDelete