Sunday, June 28, 2009

Greetings from Lake Bled, Slovenia

We picked the right day to leave Salzburg. There was a steady, heavy rain this morning. Apparently, yesterday was the first dry day in a week, so we lucked out.

I forgot to mention in my blog yesterday, about the ring tail monkeys at the zoo. We were walking along when we saw ring tail monkeys down a road that said "do not enter" (in German, of course). So we stopped to watch them. There were 15 to 20 of them, including a mom with her baby on here back. Pretty soon, they all came walking up to us. They just looked at us, I think they wanted food, and then hopped on a fence and kept going. We weren't sure if they were free roaming monkeys or escapees.

This morning we took the train from Salzburg to Lake Bled in Slovenia. It was a , very nice train, as opposed to Czech trains. We traveled through the Austria Alps. It was so picturesque. We saw castles, waterfalls, ruins, small Bavarian Villages and of course, beautiful mountains!

We arrived at Lake Bled just before 2:00. We immediately went out to explore. The lake here is the most unreal shade of blue. I think it has something to do with the minerals in the water. We rented a rowboat, and Skip (bless him), rowed us out to the island in the lake. There is a very ornate Baroque church there with a "wishing bell". Ring the bell 3 times and you get your wish. I rang it about 15 times, Luke twice. But Skip was just right, so I guess he gets his wish! We also walked all the way around the lake, about 3.5 miles. The weather is warm and overcast, perfect for sightseeing.

We will explore the area some more tomorrow, before driving to Rijeka, Croatia to take the night ferry to the Croatian Island of Hvar.

No comments:

Post a Comment