Saturday, July 4, 2009

Random Observations in Eastern Europe

Here are some things I have observed or noticed while traveling in Eastern Europe, in no particular order:

There is a Croatian brand of milk called "Mu".

Dyed red hair is very popular, the most popular shade: Ronald McDonald red.

Harem pants are all the rage, think I Dream of Jeannie or M.C. Hammer (remember him?). The fabrics range from denim to nylon and everything in between. I even saw a pair that looked like they were made from a baby's quilt.

Gladiator sandals

Capri pants for men. The only really bad ones I saw were plaid seersucker. The unfashionable man wearing them had his shirt tucked in and a belt on.

Male dogs are not neutered.

Croatian people remind me of Italians, minus the drama and bling.

Dogs poop off to the side of walkways, next to the walls. Nobody picks up.

Cats breed unchecked.

Czechs are introverted, industrious, speak softly and love their dogs. Ian says the joke is, Czechs love their dogs because they are incapable of loving other people. Anyone who loves dogs is okay by me.

Austrians are cheerful, friendly people.

Europeans are catching up to us weight wise.

Lots of Eastern Europeans drink beer for breakfast.

Slovenes are friendly and pleasant without being overtly cheerful.

Teens are obnoxious in general, Czech teens are obnoxious in particular.

Food is heavy, tasty and cheap in the Czech Republic.

Austrian trains are very nice.

People drive like maniacs.

Croatian girls are pretty.

Too much smoking, coughing and spitting.

Everybody says "Hello", what's up with that? I like being greeted in the local language, it makes me feel like they haven't noticed I have "American" written all over me.

Croatian desserts are lousy. The best dessert in Eastern Europe is at the Brown Bear in Bled. It's a cream cake to die for (or from).

Croatians are fashion forward and the young men have cool, stylish haircuts.

Czech fashion doesn't exist.

Czech hair, don't get me started........

In general Eastern Europeans are hard working, salt of the earth type people.



1 comment:

  1. Observations are my favorite part of any trip I take. It's interesting to see how other people live, what they eat, how they dress, how they interact with one another (or with a tourist)! I've always been a people watcher!

    ReplyDelete